Press ReleaseNovember 29, 2022
Spectrum News’ Midterm Election and Severe Storm Coverage Drove More Than 2.3 Million Daily Viewing Households to its Linear and Digital Platforms in November
On Election Day, 2.6 Million Households Turned to Spectrum News, Besting All Broadcast and National Cable News Channels
STAMFORD, Conn. – In a month headlined by the 2022 midterm elections and severe storms, Spectrum audiences solidified their trust in Spectrum News’ objective and reliable political and weather coverage with more than 2.3 million daily viewing households turning to its digital and linear platforms in November.* On Election Day, 2.6 million households turned to Spectrum News' linear channels for live coverage of key Senate, House and gubernatorial races, more than ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, as well as CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC.
For November, across its 14 Nielsen-rated markets,** Spectrum News recorded month-over-month average viewership growth of 3%. Locally, Buffalo (39%) had higher viewership growth than ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CNN, Fox News and MSNBC. Orlando (17%) and Greensboro, NC (11%) had more growth than ABC, CBS and NBC, and Austin (44%) and Tampa (22%), recorded higher month-over-month increases in viewership growth than CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC.
Local viewership highlights from November 1 to November 28 include:***
- On Election Day, Spectrum News NY1 ranked as the most-watched network in New York City among Spectrum customers, drawing higher viewership than ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC, and also recorded a full-day viewership increase of 14%.
- In Florida, Spectrum Bay News 9’s (Tampa) and Spectrum News 13’s (Orlando) election night coverage between 8 p.m. and midnight ET recorded viewership increases of 55%, besting ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CNN, and MSNBC.
- In Dallas, Texas, Spectrum News 1’s live, wall-to-wall coverage of severe storms and tornados on November 4, recorded an increase in viewership of 132% from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. CT.
- Spectrum Bay News 9 (Tampa) ranked as the most-watched network among Spectrum customers for live weather and news coverage of Hurricane Nicole from November 10 through November 11, outperforming ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and The Weather Channel, and also recorded a 74% viewership increase.
- In North Carolina, Spectrum News 1’s coverage of Hurricane Nicole on November 11 recorded 455% higher full-day viewership than The Weather Channel across the state. Spectrum News 1 in Greensboro drew 39% higher full-day average viewership, outpacing ABC, CBS, FOX, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and The Weather Channel.
- In Buffalo, New York, Spectrum News 1’s coverage of a lake effect snow storm and record snow fall on November 18 recorded 254% higher full-day viewership than The Weather Channel. During wall-to-wall coverage between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Spectrum News 1 in Buffalo was the most-watched network among Spectrum customers, besting ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and The Weather Channel.
- Spectrum News’ live coverage and analysis of former President Donald Trump’s November 15 announcement of his 2024 presidential campaign bid from 9 p.m. to 9:34 p.m. ET recorded an average increase in viewership of 32% across all markets, recording more viewership than CNN.
*Spectrum set-top box data is sourced from all markets where Spectrum News has distribution, and are based on a minimum threshold of five consecutive minutes of viewing on one station to count as a viewing HH.
**Nielsen metrics are based on Live+SD, Total Day household impressions in the following DMAs: Austin, Buffalo, Charlotte, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Greensboro, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, New York, Orlando, Raleigh, San Antonio and Tampa.
***Ratings averages are as compared to the previous 30-day average, unless noted otherwise.
About Spectrum Networks
Spectrum Networks is a series of 24/7 news and sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:CHTR), a leading broadband connectivity company and cable operator serving more than 32 million customers in 41 states. Spectrum Networks carry distinct, comprehensive, and exclusive local programming on over 30 networks across Charter’s footprint. More information on Spectrum Networks is available at spectrumlocalnews.com.